The Rowan is the regional Sexual Assault Referral Centre for Northern Ireland.
It is a joint venture supported by the Department of Health & Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) and the Police Service for Northern Ireland (PSNI) with input from other organisations. The centre is located on the Antrim Area Hospital Site and is directly managed by the Northern Health and Social Care Trust (NHSCT).
At The Rowan we offer a range of support and services for children, young people, women and men who have experienced sexual violence and abuse, recently and in the past.
We have a team of specialist and dedicated staff who understand the impact sexual violence and abuse can have on people’s lives. We are here to support you.
As well as offering a medical examination, emergency contraception, sexual health screening and referrals onto counselling services, we can also support you in contacting the Police, if you so choose.
We are here for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If you need assistance or advice just call our helpline number 0800 389 4424. All calls are treated professionally and in confidence.
If you would simply like to know more about what we do, please feel free to browse the pages on this website.
The Rowan Centre
- The Rowan is a purpose built forensic facility located on the Antrim Area Hospital Site.
- It is within easy reach of public transport.
- It is a discrete centre with no signs to indicate the purpose of the service.
- There are three separate forensic suites, all with their own private waiting areas and examination rooms. Appointments are managed in a way to promote your privacy.
- There are waiting areas for your family, partner or friends who may come to the centre with you.
- Tea and coffee is available.
- Services delivered on-site are by appointment only.